Mr Shields - no one ever calls me that

Saturday, June 14, 2008

Summer Reading Club Update

My week has been busy and I haven't finished any books since last week. But I have started two and come close to finishing a third. The one I am almost finished with is Worlds of Honor. This is five short stories based around David Weber's Honor Harrington stories. There were four different authors and the stories were fairly different. Four of the five stories were about treecats. Treecats are a sentient species in the series. The treecat stories were the ones that really brought you in and made you intersted in the universe that David Weber has created.

The first book I started this week is the last of a trilogy. The Sharing Knife is a fantasy book. It is about two characters who met and were married in the first two books. One is a Lakewalker, historical protectors of humanity, that are often misunderstood and marginalized because of the work that they do, and the secrecy that they hold around their society. The other is a Farmer, the term for everyone that is not a Lakewalker (from the Lakewalker's perspective). Once they were married they were pretty much rejected by both of their families. This book is about their struggle to find a new way, a way to introduce their world to one another and help each of their societies to honor and trust them for what they do.

The second book isn't really a book, it is a journal put out by ACT3 (Advancing the Christian Tradition into the Third Millinium). They don't put out the journals anymore, but I have a couple of old ones that I am working through. I read one on prayer a month or two ago and this one is based on the work of NT Wright. I talked about NT Wright in my last summer reading club entry so I won't revisit him here. But I may do more once I finish the journal.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home